Friday, September 4, 2009

Coffee Balance

This coffee table is a balance; it weighs anything that is placed on the blue surface. The arm on the back swings upwards accordingly, basically a giant letter-weight. This coffee table will be excellent in any lounge but currently, my kids are weighing all their toys, books and lemonade.

I used standard components only to create this prototype (and no, I can't weld)

It can carry up to 10 kilo's, when the weight gets too heavy, the mechanism hits the door-stop (at the bottom of this picture) so the able can carry any weight.
Next steps will be:
- Instead of the blue table surface, I'm planning to create a thick layer of glass
- The weight at the end of the arm has to look better
- Improve the foot
- Get in contact with a manufacturer that would like to produce the Weight-Table

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your pivot-wheels are ingenious, your angles and clamps are too. I hope your kids are inspired by the "put-it-together" and may someday build artful objects of their own.
My father built houses that we lived in, I had a Meccano set, and now I design and troubleshoot electronics.
Eveerything in our world is made from smaller bits.
...JohnCanon